Mastering cooking : the perfect non-sticky rice
I have always struggled to cook rice – they either come out too sticky, mushy, too dry or with some weird texture.
I like Basmati White Rice and I want it fluffy, spread out and not sticky.
- Measuring scale
- Microwave safe bowl
- Put 100gms of rice in bowl
- Add little salt and soak in water for 30 mins
- Rinse again
- Add 100 ml of water (1:1 ratio of rice : water)
- Spray olive oil
- Microwave for 8 mins
- Godlevel fluffy rice is ready
What didn’t work and why microwave
- I want to be as fast and as efficient with my cooking. Microwave is the easiest way. No need of extra appliances and no need to wash stuff. Just a damn microwave safe bowl is all that needed. No need to monitor as well, set for 8 mins, forget it.
- Instant pot didn’t work
- Pressure cooker is hit or miss, but too much hassle
- Pot cooking is also pretty good, but it has more complexity and monitoring hassles than microwave.
- Microwave gets it right every time, also I can pause / take a look / resume
- Soaking for at least 30 mins is incredibly important. Need to look up about what happens at this stage, but my guess is something about the starches.